(spoiler alert: it’s not a logo)
If you are new-ish to the entrepreneur game or heck, even been around the block a time or two, you may have heard some confusing definitions of branding. The idea of branding can sometimes be a vague concept in the marketing world. When most people think of branding, they typically think of logos and colors. But the truth is, there’s SO much more to branding than what you can actually see!
Let’s clear up exactly what branding is and what elements to truly consider when creating a brand, so you can feel totally “in the know” next time someone talks about branding.
A BRAND IS AN EXPERIENCE
Your brand is how your business is perceived by others. It’s how your audience feels when interacting with your business. “Branding” is the process of intentionally and strategically cultivating those perceptions and feelings through visual and verbal communication. Creating a visual brand identity (your logos, colors, patterns, imagery, fonts, web design, etc.) is only one of the ways to do this! Colors and logos do not sum up your whole brand.
INTENTIONALLY & STRATEGICALLY BUILD YOUR BRAND THROUGH THINGS LIKE….
- This is your mission, your values, and the “why” behind your business.
- Your brand’s voice is found in the tone and word choice when you’re speaking to your audience, whether through Instagram captions, a blog post, a video, on your website, etc.
- Your brand imagery is connected to your visual brand identity. It’s the style of photos and graphics you use on your website, social media, and printed materials.
- How do clients or customers feel when working with you? What does the full client experience look like?
- These are the people you’re specifically targeting with your marketing and branding efforts.
To sum it all up in a nutshell: Your brand is what people think, feel, and say about your business. As a brand designer, my job is to cultivate the visual elements of your brand identity that help shape those perceptions!
Having consistent branding can help you stand out in a saturated market, build brand recognition, increase sales, and connect with your audience!
If you’re ready to start creating the brand of your dreams, reach out here!